Warhammer: Total War 3 is the latest TW game that received great reviews in 2022. However, players have widely discussed Warhammer: Total War 3 launch issues on the support forums. Some player reports say that the game gets stuck at the copyright screen, crashes on launch, or doesn’t start at all.
Players who need a fix for Warhammer: Total War 3 not launching after purchasing it can consider claiming a refund. However, there are several ways you can fix the game not starting. These possible resolutions may fix Warhammer: Total War 3 not launching in Windows 11.
1. Configure Warhammer: Total War 3 to start with administrator rights
Warhammer: Total War 3 may not start due to insufficient system permissions. Make sure the game is set to run with administrative rights. You can configure Warhammer: Total War 3 to start with elevated rights in the following steps:
- To open the File Explorer folder management app, right-click Windows 11 start button and select the shortcut there.
- Open the Warhammer: Total War 3 installation folder in File Explorer.
- Right-click the Warhammer: Total War 3 EXE (application) file to launch the game to select properties.
- Click compatibility to enter Run this program as administrator option.
- select Run this program as administrator Settings to set elevated rights for the game.
- press Apply To save the changed setting.
- select ok To exit the game’s properties window.
2. Wait 20-30 minutes for the game to start
Some players have reported that they have to wait 20 minutes for Warhammer: Total War’s logo screen to start the game. That might be because the game takes time to configure itself with the PC’s system settings. If Warhammer: Total War 3 is stuck on the logo screen after you recently installed it, you may have to wait 20-30 minutes for the game to start. If it works, then the game will start more quickly.
3. Verify Warhammer: Total War 3 game files
You need to repair corrupted or damaged Warhammer: Total War 3 files to start the game. Both Epic Games and Steam users can choose to run file verification scans for games. Here are the steps to verify Warhammer: Total War 3 files in Epic Games Launcher:
- Run and select Epic Games Launcher library in his window.
- Click the ellipsis (three-dot) button just below Warhammer: Total War 3 to view game options.
- select Manage to bring up Verify option.
- press Verify To scan the game.
- Wait for verification to complete before exiting the Epic Games Launcher.
To verify the game’s files in Steam, right-click on Warhammer: Total War 3 in the Library section of that gaming client and select properties. Click Local files On the opening window. Then you can choose Check integrity of game files Options from there.
4. Start Warhammer: Total War 3 in windowed mode
Some players have confirmed that starting Warhammer: Total War 3 in windowed mode can fix launch issues. You can set Warhammer: Total War 3 to start in windowed mode by entering command-line arguments in both Epic Games Launcher and Steam. In the Epic Games Launcher you can input window mode command-line arguments for games like this:
- Bring up your Epic Games client software and click the round User Profile button at the top right of its window.
- select settings On the User menu.
- Click Warhammer: Total War 3 in settings to expand its options.
- Select the checkbox for Additional command line arguments option.
- Make an input -windows -any border Command arguments in the text box.
- Restart Epic Games Launcher and try to start Warhammer: Total War 3 again.
You can do the same from Steam library tab by right-clicking on Warhammer: Total War3 and selecting the Properties option for the game. select normal tab in the window that opens. Then type -windows -any border In the Launch Options box.
5. Update DirectX files
Any problem with the DirectX software on your PC could potentially be another cause of Warhammer: Total War 3 crashing on launch. Therefore, it is recommended to run the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer to update the DirectX runtime libraries. You can install the missing DirectX components with that installer as follows:
- In a browser, navigate to the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer download page.
- press Download button to get the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer package.
- Bring your browser Download tab, and click a Show in folder From there the option for dxwebsetup.exe.
- Run the dxwebsetup.exe package with elevated privileges by right-clicking on that file and selecting the Run as administrator option.
- Click I accept the agreement And Next In the DirectX Setup Wizard.
- Uncheck Selected Install Bing Bar checkbox, and click Next To update DirectX components.
6. Update the Visual C++ Redistributable
A specific Visual C++ Redistributable component is required for Warhammer: Total War 3 to run. You may need to install or repair Visual C++ components to get the game up and running again.
To do so, download and run the Visual C++ 2015-2022 package as follows:
- Bring up the download page for Visual C++ Redistributable Components in your browser.
- Click the X64 download link for Visual Studio 2015-2022 package. The x86 download link is for 32-bit system architecture.
- Click on Show in folder option for your browser’s VC_redist.x64 package Download tab
- Right-click the VC_redist.x64.exe file to select it Run as administrator.
- Choose either Install Or Repair Options depending on what is available.
- Wait for the setup progress to complete and then restart Windows.
7. Disable antivirus utility
Warhammer: Total War 3 might not start on your PC because an overly strict antivirus utility is blocking some of its files. If you have a third-party antivirus tool installed on your PC, try disabling its shield before starting the game. To disable the antivirus utility, right-click on the system tray icon for it and select the context menu option that temporarily turns off its shield protection.
Windows 11’s built-in antivirus utility can also block games and apps. If you don’t have third-party antivirus software on your PC, temporarily turn off Windows Security (aka Microsoft Defender) instead. Our guide on how to turn off Microsoft Defender includes complete instructions on how to disable this antivirus tool.
8. Clean-boot Windows 11
To minimize potential program conflict issues, users are recommended to close unnecessary background apps and services before choosing to launch Warhammer: Total War 3. One way you can do this is to set up a clean boot, which will remove third-party software and services from Windows startup. You can perform a clean boot by adjusting MSConfig settings like this:
- Open System Configuration with one of the eight methods covered in our guide to opening MSConfig.
- Uncheck Selected Load startup items An alternative to MSConfig normal tab
- Click MSCconfig service tab to select Hide all Microsoft services.
- press Disable all To opt out of all other listed services.
- Click Apply To save boot configuration options as selected.
- then select ok > Start again to reboot.
Once done, check if Warhammer: Total War 3 can now be launched. If this happens, it means that a service that you disabled during clean booting is causing the problem. You can now slowly start re-enabling the service until the problem recurs, at which point you’ll know what’s causing the problem and research ways to fix it.
9. Reinstall Warhammer: Total War 3
Reinstalling Warhammer: Total War 3 to prevent the game from starting is another possible fix that some players have said may work. As Warhammer: Total War 3 weighs in at over 100 gigabytes, it will take some time to download and reinstall. This way you can uninstall and reinstall games with both Epic Games and Steam.
1. Epic Games Launcher
For Epic Games Launcher:
- Launch and click Epic Games Launcher library In that game client window.
- Click the ellipsis button for Warhammer: Total War 3.
- select uninstall on the menu.
- Click on another uninstall Option to confirm.
- Then click on Warhammer: Total War 3 game to select Install option.
If you own the game on Steam:
- Launch the Steam gaming software and select its Library tab.
- Click and select Warhammer: Total War 3 game with the right mouse button Manage.
- press uninstall To remove the game.
- To reinstall the game, select Warhammer: Total War 3 in Steam and click on it Install option.
Have fun playing Warhammer: Total War 3 again
Those potential fixes should cover all possible causes for Warhammer: Total War 3 launch issues. If you still can’t run the game, double check that your PC meets all the game’s system requirements. or submit a help request by selecting Creative Assembly: Total War Series On the Sega Support page.