As of this week, there are now two instances in MLB history that have made it as an all-star game pitcher and batter – and both are from Los Angeles’ Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani became the first double-duty all-star last season, in a year that was different than anything we have seen in modern baseball history. Combining excellence on the plate (46 home runs, .965 OPS) and on the mound (9-2, 3.18 ERA), Ohtani won the MVP honor unanimously in the American League and easily became the best player in baseball with the above substitute victory. After all, it was worth wondering what he could do for Encore – but Ohtani has remained overall good in 2022 so far. And the way he did it proves that Ohtani still has a lot of unexpected tricks left.

Just looking at his statistics from the heap, Ohtani’s 2021 was very good. He averaged 3.7 times in 21 starts, including 73 minus Ira and 80 minus fielding. (ERA- and FIP-metrics are measured. To league-level performance levels, where the average is 100 and below.) But the big driver of Ohtani’s MVP campaign was his plate performance, where he averaged 5.0 WAR and made 152 weighted runs (wRC +). Which was ranked fifth. In all batsmen. Overall, this means that Batter War accounted for 58 percent of Ohtani’s total fighting last year, while the remaining 42 percent was filled by pitching.

This model of Ohtani is delivering a lot of its value in terms of batter, as well as being at the top of the best pitching product, it seemed reasonable to look at its schedule as a regular assigned hitter removing the pitch once a week. And there was an example of this: Babe Ruth in every 182 team games in 1918 as a 6.4 war batter and 3.0 as a pitcher, which was good for a total of 9.4 battles – 68 percent coming as a batter – both before coming to Otani in the last elite two-way season. . Whatever was expected of Ohtani, it was not entirely surprising how he combined his MVP performance.

But Ohtani has reversed that formula to get the same result this season. Like his pitch in 2021, his batting in 2022 has been very good – he has 132 wRC + and he’s fast for 2.9 WAR per 162 games – but he’s not as impressive as he was a year ago. (On the one hand, 35 home runs and .832 OPS would be a ridiculous product for your pitcher / DH, but that speed is also slightly lower than the 46 and .965 he posted last season.) Ohtani’s pitching is very similar. Good in 2022, however, to pick up the remaining delay due to its offensive output. He is currently tracking 5.1 War Mound with 63 ERA- and a particularly impressive 58 FIP-, much lower than a year ago and is third in pitchers with at least 60 innings this season.

Add to that, and Ohtani is fast for 8.0 WAR, enough for the fifth-best in the MLB and a little lower than last year’s 8.7 mark. But the relative contribution of his bat and hand has fundamentally reversed himself from last season’s split. Now, 64 per cent of Ohtani’s value has come from the pitch and only 36 per cent from the batting.

Would you rather have more produce in Ohatani Dough or Ghagari? Does it matter? Ohtani Pitcher has been more volatile over the years in his MLB career to date – mainly due to a corner injury that shortened his pitch season and kept him off the pile for the entire duration of his second season. Hand disease limiting his pitch in his third major league campaign. To date, Ohtani still has more career battles as a batsman (11.4) than a pitcher (7.3), which is good for a 61 percent share of the total value that comes with a bat. And whatever is useful for the Angels Club whose season has completely deteriorated by the end of May, LA can use more help from its Position Player Corps (21st in battle) than its pitching staff (16th).

But even though the day-to-day pitch is not his standard, Ohtani is showing how his double standards help him maintain an overall performance of elite quality, even if his strong suit is not as excellent as last year. Thanks to the increase in output on the mound, Ohtani continues to shine as one of the brightest stars of baseball – and surprises all of us with what a unique combination of skill and product he will go forward.

Check out our latest MLB forecast.